[UFO] - a contradiction in assuming continuous tetration?
darn. i wanted to post that today.

f(x) = x^2

f(x) = x^3

f(x) = x^sqrt(2)

are imho the best examples to understand and investigate the seemingly contradiction.

i often argue about branches and (-1)^sqrt(2).
( related to the irrationality of sqrt(2) and thompsons lamp paradox )

sometimes even consider (-1)^(irrational real) to be the unit circle , which is controversial ( branches are considered 'countable' even when 'dense' but binary , ternary or continued fraction expansions may lead to another ' interpretation ' ).

afterall after considering the superfunctions of x^sqrt(2) , x^2 , x^3 and x^sqrt(3) or their inverses , we see a striking resemblence that cannot be ignored !!

( an animation of changing riemann surfaces with a real parameter would be nice )

square roots and cube roots are school examples of functions that are complex abs continu , but not complex differentiable. ( more *nice* examples are welcome , where *nice* probably means analytic almost everywhere , however i suppose al *nice* examples are inverses of polynomials or similar looking .. not ? )

im very intrested in complex abs continu functions and i believe they are important and natural.

but its a long time ago i studied these , is there a terminology for complex abs continu functions defined on all of z ( as analogue of entire function ) ?

i especially like complex abs continu functions that are still continu at oo too.

furthermore

x^a has a superfunction agreeing on all fixpoints !!

( or at least for integer a and especially 0 and 1 )

( i notice that what makes this rare property may be the combination of complex abs continu + = to secondary , ternary , ... fixpoint expansion ?!? )

i would like to see more superfunctions agreeing on their fixpoints !

btw , maybe g^[-1]((g(x))^a) for suitable g(x) can be used to construct all superfunctions that agree upon fixpoints and are complex abs continu ???

( like we did for solving the iterations of exp(x)+x ; replacing the fixpoint at - oo to finite )

however if im not mistaken in my rapid brainstorm , this puts restrictions on the fixpoints ( repelling in direction region Q etc ) so maybe there may be other examples of superfunctions agreeing on fixpoints that match the other possible properies of the fixpoints ...

btw , how does one link the disagreement of half-iterates on multiple fixpoints to the superfunction with the fixpoints at complex oo ?

i assume thats simple : either the superfunction does not go to oo ( not defined beyond abs(z) = X ) , or it is not constant near the fixpoint but periodic , since if at fixpoint 2 the halfiterate gives value B then the half-iterate of B = fixpoint 2 ...

intresting stuff. basic yet intresting.

forgive my brainstorm type of writing ...

regards

tommy1729

Messages In This Thread
RE: [UFO] - a contradiction in assuming continuous tetration? - by tommy1729 - 08/29/2010, 05:28 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Qs on extension of continuous iterations from analytic functs to non-analytic Leo.W 18 6,965 09/18/2022, 09:37 PM
Last Post: tommy1729
Question Continuous Hyper Bouncing Factorial Catullus 9 3,433 08/15/2022, 07:54 AM
Last Post: JmsNxn
  Unifying continuous and discrete physics Daniel 0 681 07/31/2022, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Daniel
  Possible continuous extension of tetration to the reals Dasedes 0 3,795 10/10/2016, 04:57 AM
Last Post: Dasedes
  [Update] Comparision of 5 methods of interpolation to continuous tetration Gottfried 30 69,888 02/04/2014, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Gottfried
  Continuous iteration from fixed points of base e jaydfox 22 51,593 11/22/2007, 09:08 PM
Last Post: jaydfox
  Continuous iteration Daniel 11 28,234 09/09/2007, 08:37 AM
Last Post: bo198214
  Continuous iteration of fractals Daniel 0 5,701 08/30/2007, 09:55 PM
Last Post: Daniel