Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cyclic complex functions and uniqueness
I had an idea about cyclic functions, as they relate to a function f such that f(x+a)-f(x) = a for some a. For the purposes of this discussion, I'll assume that a=1.

I'm going to quote a post from a couple months ago:
http://math.eretrandre.org/tetrationforu...php?tid=19
bo198214 Wrote:Let for some base .
Then we demand that any tetration is a solution of the Abel equation
and .

Such a solution (even if analytic and strictly increasing) is generally not unique because for example the solution is also an analytic strictly increasing solution, by
and

If we're only concerned about a real function, then this issue of a cyclic shift of the input to the sexp function is an important one.

However, what about for a complex function? The sin and cos functions grow exponentially (in absolute value) as we move away from the real line (growth is dictated by sinh and cosh, in fact). More importantly, the magnitude of the difference between the "crest" and "trough" is increasing exponentially.

And as far as I can remember, any cyclic real function can be decomposed into a Fourier series of sin and cos functions. Therefore, no matter how small the shift in each cycle, if we get far enough off the real line, then the shift will be quite large over a full cycle.

Okay, this much I think is correct, but please let me know if I'm wrong.

Pushing forward (assuming I was correct), if we had a general idea of how the function should act for inputs with large imaginary part, then it would be easy to weed out solutions that had even very small cyclic shifts.

For the slog base e, I have just such a general idea. In the vicinity of the primary fixed point, it should behave like a logarithm with a complex base. The upper fixed point is approached as the imaginary part of the slog goes to positive infinity. The lower fixed point is approach as the imaginary part of the slog goes to negative infinity.

Luckily, this general idea is so simple that I think it is sufficient to give us the uniqueness criterion we've been looking for! For example, I think that my solution (using my change of base from base eta) will give us a very erratic slog in the vicinity of the fixed points.

I have yet to test this hypothesis with my solution, but I hope to show this in the next couple weeks. It'll be tricky, because I'll need to calculate a lot of points with very high precision to be able to get a useful power series expansion. I need a power series expansion because my change of base formula only works for real tetrational "exponents".

Moreover, I think this uniqueness criterion will set apart Andrew's slog as "the" correct solution, at least for base e.
~ Jay Daniel Fox

Messages In This Thread
Cyclic complex functions and uniqueness - by jaydfox - 10/29/2007, 04:45 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Complex Tetration, to base exp(1/e) Ember Edison 7 2,261 08/14/2019, 09:15 AM
Last Post: sheldonison
  The AB functions ! tommy1729 0 1,605 04/04/2017, 11:00 PM
Last Post: tommy1729
  A conjectured uniqueness criteria for analytic tetration Vladimir Reshetnikov 13 11,600 02/17/2017, 05:21 AM
Last Post: JmsNxn
  An explicit series for the tetration of a complex height Vladimir Reshetnikov 13 12,499 01/14/2017, 09:09 PM
Last Post: Vladimir Reshetnikov
  Uniqueness of half-iterate of exp(x) ? tommy1729 14 15,479 01/09/2017, 02:41 AM
Last Post: Gottfried
  the inverse ackerman functions JmsNxn 3 6,001 09/18/2016, 11:02 AM
Last Post: Xorter
  Polygon cyclic fixpoint conjecture tommy1729 1 2,259 05/18/2016, 12:26 PM
  Removing the branch points in the base: a uniqueness condition? fivexthethird 0 1,590 03/19/2016, 10:44 AM
Last Post: fivexthethird
  Look-alike functions. tommy1729 1 2,080 03/08/2016, 07:10 PM
Last Post: hixidom
  Inverse power tower functions tommy1729 0 1,920 01/04/2016, 12:03 PM