Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
polynomial interpolation to fractional iteration
Hi -

triggered by a discussion in sci.math I tried to explain to someone, how one could naively use interpolation to obtain a version of continuous tetration.
For simplicitiness I used U-tetration (x -> exp(x)-1)
In a second shot I made this a bit more general and - whoops - it comes out to be the matrix-method in disguise (but now with a bit more general approach). Nothing new to the experienced tetration-diggers here, but maybe still a nice exercise.

Happy christmas to all -

Gottfried

Interpolation [update 4 23.12.2007]

Attached Files
.pdf   polynomial_interpolation.pdf (Size: 64.05 KB / Downloads: 467)
Gottfried Helms, Kassel
Very nice discussion! I like the colors of the coefficients. I also briefly discuss this in this thread, and Jay discusses this in this thread, just to let you know, if you forgot. Also why do you call it U-tetration? I call it iterated decremented exponentials, since:
  • iterated = repeating the same function over and over
  • decremented = subtracting one from something
  • exponential = a function from x to
so an expression like would be a decremented exponential, and an expression like would be an iterated decremented exponential.

Andrew Robbins
andydude Wrote:Very nice discussion! I like the colors of the coefficients.
Nice! Thanks
Quote: I also briefly discuss this in this thread, and Jay discusses this in this thread, just to let you know, if you forgot.

Yepp, thanks. Our forum is a rich resource - sometimes I just browse through older threads and understand today, what I didn't understand before... I'll have a look at it.

Quote: Also why do you call it U-tetration? I call it iterated decremented exponentials,

Yes, I know. But just count the number of letters... In informal exchange I tend to use the name of the matrices, which I use in Pari/Gp. And I don't know why, but U-tetration as some low-level association for me. If my other tetration-article is finished, I'll replace some of the nicks by the more expressive denotations.

Thanks again for your comment -
Gottfried
Gottfried Helms, Kassel
andydude Wrote:thread, and Jay discusses this in this thread, just to let you know, if you forgot.

:-)

I was even involved in that thread ... For whatever reason I did not catch its contents then...

So it goes -
Gottfried
Gottfried Helms, Kassel

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Taylor polynomial. System of equations for the coefficients. marraco 17 6,890 08/23/2016, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Gottfried
  [MSE] Fixed point and fractional iteration of a map MphLee 0 1,089 01/08/2015, 03:02 PM
Last Post: MphLee
  Fractional calculus and tetration JmsNxn 5 3,668 11/20/2014, 11:16 PM
Last Post: JmsNxn
  Tribonacci interpolation ? tommy1729 0 970 09/08/2014, 10:37 AM
Last Post: tommy1729
  Theorem in fractional calculus needed for hyperoperators JmsNxn 5 3,351 07/07/2014, 06:47 PM
  Further observations on fractional calc solution to tetration JmsNxn 13 6,805 06/05/2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: tommy1729
  Negative, Fractional, and Complex Hyperoperations KingDevyn 2 3,471 05/30/2014, 08:19 AM
  left-right iteraton in right-divisible magmas, and fractional ranks. MphLee 1 1,453 05/14/2014, 03:51 PM
  [Update] Comparision of 5 methods of interpolation to continuous tetration Gottfried 30 13,673 02/04/2014, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Gottfried
  A new way of approaching fractional hyper operators JmsNxn 0 2,705 05/26/2012, 06:34 PM
Last Post: JmsNxn