New Logo
I remember Henryk saying that someone could design a new logo if they wanted to, but I'm not sure if that's just my imagination... Anyways, I took the time to go through some revisions, and I started off with 4 things I thought "defined" tetration and this forum: Left-superscript notation, Plot of x^(1/x), Plot of x^x^y (hardly recognizable), and the words "Tetration Forum". After about a dozen revisions, I think I found one I like. If anyone thinks one of my other versions is better feel free to say so, after all, this is our forum. I personally think that 12 is the best, because thats just when I stopped revising.

@Henryk
Do you think maybe if you see a logo you like, that you would be kind enough to change the forum logo? (provided there aren't any protests, of course)

Andrew Robbins

PS. I think a new logo would go well with the new year Smile

Attached Files
.zip   TetraForumLogo.zip (Size: 580.18 KB / Downloads: 707)
Hi Andrew -

nice! I like the 11-version most.
If in any way also one of Jay's extremely nice line-plots could be inserted, that would even be greater...
One of my favorites is
http://math.eretrandre.org/tetrationforu...hp?aid=143
in the thread http://math.eretrandre.org/tetrationforu...php?tid=89

Btw: I don't find the nice sequence of plots, where the complex plane was "logarithmized". Which thread has this been?

Gottfried
Gottfried Helms, Kassel
I found some of Jay's threads you might be talking about:

Andrew Robbins
andydude Wrote:Generic structure ...

yepp, some sections of the last plot would give nice symbols, imo...

Gottfried
Gottfried Helms, Kassel
Although Jay's plots in that thread are very nice, I don't think the last one makes a good logo. First, it is not self-contained, so it would need to be separated from the background by some other object, which would make the composition more complicated than it needs to be. Logos need to be simple, and the last plot is not simple! Smile Anyways, I decided to go with the first plot, since that is simple, and very nice too. I took the axes away, then blurred it a little so you couldn't tell. I started to look over my revisions, and they all looked the same, so flat. So I tried to make it as non-flat as possible, so I redid the text and the x-root-x graph. Then I think I overdid it so I backed-off from that extreme, and settled on a good version, imho.

Let me know what you think.

Andrew Robbins

Attached Files
.zip   TetraForumLogo2.zip (Size: 325.71 KB / Downloads: 635)
andydude Wrote:Let me know what you think.
Hmm, although I could not insert the nice logo-font, what do you think of something like this.

The symmetry is not yet best; also I couldn't rearrange the logo-words a bit more to the top after I had positioned it provisorically...

Ah, I got it a bit better:

Some of the other fractal graphs, which had rather lines than planes may even look more "distinct"...

Gottfried
Gottfried Helms, Kassel
Well, I kind of like how the x-root-x graph follows the singularities of the color graph, but I don't like the edges, it seems like it just stops there, even though it technically goes on forever. I also don't like how the axis is still here, it looks kind of tacky. The edges might be better if there was a border, maybe a white border then a black border, but I'm still not sure if it would help.

Andrew Robbins
andydude Wrote:Well, I kind of like how the x-root-x graph follows the singularities of the color graph, but I don't like the edges, it seems like it just stops there, even though it technically goes on forever. I also don't like how the axis is still here, it looks kind of tacky. The edges might be better if there was a border, maybe a white border then a black border, but I'm still not sure if it would help.

Andrew Robbins

Yes, the image is rather sketchy - I wanted to give an idea, what I meant. With the whole background colored it is also somehow more "weight-y" (if I can say so in english), and although I like it with this fractal association a simple and more clear version (such as yours are) may be better in the end.

Gottfried
Gottfried Helms, Kassel
Hm, I personally dont like the \( x^{1/x} \) graph in the logo. It looks somehow like extracting the root of "tetration forum".
I am also rather inclined to use a simple prosaic logo.
I best liked 7, however the relation to tetration was not really clear.
I have gone through a few more revisions, and I find it very hard to come up with designs that don't involve the x-root-x graph, but I tried my best, and I had an idea for a "prosaic" logo that would also involve math in some way, and here it is:

Andrew Robbins

PS. This is my 200-th post!