Change of base formula for Tetration
(05/03/2009, 10:20 PM)tommy1729 Wrote: ???

how does change of base formula for tetration and exp(z) -1 relate ???

i would recommend -- in case this is important and proved -- that more attention is given to it on the forum and/or FAQ
I agree that the base conversion problem is very interesting, and needs more attention.

Here's another way to write the change of base equation, converting from base a to base b.
\( \text{sexp}_b(x) =
\text{ } \lim_{n \to \infty}
\text{log}_b^{\circ n}(\text{sexp}_a (x + \text{slog}_a(\text{sexp}_b(n))) \)

In this equation, \( \text{slog}_a(\text{sexp}_b(n))) \) converges to n plus the base conversion constant. This base conversion will have a small 1-cyclic periodic wobble, \( \theta(x) \), when compared to Dimitrii's solution.
\( \text{sexp}_b(x+\theta(x)) =

Convergence for real values of x is easy to show, and emperically the derivatives appear continuous, but behavior for complex values is a more difficult problem. I would also like to characterize the \( \theta(x) \) sinusoid, and find out whether or not it is c-oo, and whether the sexp_b(z) shows the singularities in the complex plane predicted by Dimitrii Kouznetsov. My thoughts started before I read Jay's post, but you can see them here, http://math.eretrandre.org/tetrationforu...hp?tid=236.
(05/05/2009, 11:21 AM)sheldonison Wrote:
(05/03/2009, 10:20 PM)tommy1729 Wrote: ???

how does change of base formula for tetration and exp(z) -1 relate ???

i would recommend -- in case this is important and proved -- that more attention is given to it on the forum and/or FAQ
I agree that the base conversion problem is very interesting, and needs more attention.

Here's another way to write the change of base equation, converting from base a to base b.
\( \text{sexp}_b(x) =

In this equation, \( \text{slog}_a(\text{sexp}_b(n))) \) converges to n plus the base conversion constant. This base conversion will have a small 1-cyclic periodic wobble, \( \theta(x) \), when compared to Dimitrii's solution.
\( \text{sexp}_b(x+\theta(x)) =

Convergence for real values of x is easy to show, and emperically the derivatives appear continuous, but behavior for complex values is a more difficult problem. I would also like to characterize the \( \theta(x) \) sinusoid, and find out whether or not it is c-oo, and whether the sexp_b(z) shows the singularities in the complex plane predicted by Dimitrii Kouznetsov. My thoughts started before I read Jay's post, but you can see them here, http://math.eretrandre.org/tetrationforu...hp?tid=236.

the problem is the wobble ...

its a bit of an illusionary use :

first you give a formula to compute sexp_b(x) bye using sexp_b(n)

then you correct sexp_b(x) to sexp_b(x + wobble(x))

which basicly just means ;
you got a formula for sexp_b(n) using sexp_b(n) ... ?!?

thats pretty lame selfreference ...

( godel escher and bach anyone ? :p )

furthermore , i asked how change of base formula for tetration and exp(z) - 1 relate ?

that isnt answered ...

furthermore i had the idea that

slog_a(x) - slog_b(x) =/= 0 for a =/= b =/= x and a,b,x > e^e

and

slog_a(x)' - slog_b(x)' =/= 0 for a =/= b =/= x and a,b,x > e^e

( derivative with respect to x )

and that this might require a different Coo slog but would imply a uniqueness condition ?

also the equation lim slog_a(oo) - slog_b(oo) = x

seems intresting.

regards

tommy1729
(05/03/2009, 10:20 PM)tommy1729 Wrote: the problem is the wobble ...

its a bit of an illusionary use :

first you give a formula to compute sexp_b(x) bye using sexp_b(n)

then you correct sexp_b(x) to sexp_b(x + wobble(x))

which basicly just means ;
you got a formula for sexp_b(n) using sexp_b(n) ... ?!?

thats pretty lame selfreference ...

( godel escher and bach anyone ? :p )
Well, its not that bad, since n is an integer, sexp_b(n) is well defined. You can leave off the \( \theta(x) \) function, you just get a different solution, one that wobbles a little bit, easier to see in the higher derivatives. Also, in my original post, I was using a home base of \( \eta+\delta \) where \( \eta=e^{1/e} \), whose sexp solution I was able to derive, see http://math.eretrandre.org/tetrationforu...236&page=1.

(05/03/2009, 10:20 PM)tommy1729 Wrote: furthermore , i asked how change of base formula for tetration and exp(z) - 1 relate ?

that isnt answered ...
Jay isn't around to answer. He discusses base change convergence, which I understand perfectly well. But I didn't understand the double logarithmic paragraph. Jay abandoned this approach to tetration, because it gives different results than Andrew Robbin's solution, (and Dimitrii Kouznetsov's solution) due to the wobble.

(05/03/2009, 10:20 PM)tommy1729 Wrote: furthermore i had the idea that

slog_a(x) - slog_b(x) =/= 0 for a =/= b =/= x and a,b,x > e^e

For large enough values of x, slog_a(x) - slog_b(x) will converge to a specific value. That value will be the sexp base conversion constant plus the base conversion wobble term, \( \theta(\text{slog}_a(x)) \). Here are some examples of base conversion values I derived using sexp derived from base \( \eta^{+} \), which has a wobble when compared to Andy's solution or Dimitrii's solution.

\( \text{slog}_2(x) - \text{slog}_e(x) = 1.1282 \)
\( \text{slog}_3(x) - \text{slog}_e(x) = -0.1926 \)
\( \text{slog}_{10}(x) - \text{slog}_e(x) = -1.1364 \)
(05/05/2009, 01:29 PM)sheldonison Wrote: the base conversion wobble term,

Do we make this the official name? Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [2sinh] exp(x) - exp( - (e-1) x), Low Base Constant (LBC) 1.5056377.. tommy1729 3 993 04/30/2023, 01:22 AM
Last Post: tommy1729
  f(x+y) g(f(x)f(y)) = f(x) + f(y) addition formula ? tommy1729 1 691 01/13/2023, 08:45 PM
Last Post: tommy1729
  Base -1 marraco 15 23,466 07/06/2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Catullus
  I thought I'd take a crack at base = 1/2 JmsNxn 9 4,751 06/20/2022, 08:28 AM
Last Post: Catullus
Question Formula for the Taylor Series for Tetration Catullus 8 4,463 06/12/2022, 07:32 AM
Last Post: JmsNxn
Big Grin Repetition of the last digits of a tetration of generic base Luknik 12 7,455 12/16/2021, 12:26 AM
Last Post: marcokrt
  On the [tex]2 \pi i[/tex]-periodic solution to tetration, base e JmsNxn 0 1,332 09/28/2021, 05:44 AM
  A different approach to the base-change method JmsNxn 0 1,801 03/17/2021, 11:15 PM
  There is a non recursive formula for T(x,k)? marraco 5 5,948 12/26/2020, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Gottfried
  Complex Tetration, to base exp(1/e) Ember Edison 7 14,753 08/14/2019, 09:15 AM
Last Post: sheldonison