Challenging the concept of real tetration
So Kneser derives the real half iterate of the exponential function. I think his proof is great, but he makes use of the complex numbers to obtain his results on the real numbers. Shouldn't a solution on the real numbers have a proof not resorting to complex numbers?
Daniel
(07/04/2022, 09:56 AM)Daniel Wrote: So Kneser derives the real half iterate of the exponential function. I think his proof is great, but he makes use of the complex numbers to obtain his results on the real numbers. Shouldn't a solution on the real numbers have a proof not resorting to complex numbers?

I dont wanna be rude or annoying but most methods here are not based on complex numbers or complex fixpoints.
We make complex plots to convince ourselves that they are analytic though.

Although most are not proven and such, I find it remarkable that you ask this.

Also simply using the appropriate analytic 1-periodic function theta(z) transforms any analytic tetration to another analytic tetration; by using the simple

tetrationnew(z) = tetrationold(z + theta(z))

In essense even the riemann mapping/kneser mapping is a theta thing.

I recently added my personal ( subjective ?) list of types of ways to do tetration.

most methods (like kneser too ) do not solve directly for a half-iterate ( as you mentioned in the OP ) but instead construct a superfunction or abel function , sexp or slog.

Since ln(z) does not have real fixpoints , it makes sense that many fixpoints methods start from a complex fixpoint.

Also we usually want some kind of uniqueness criterion, although in the last few years we somewhat did not focus on it imo.

Apart from analytic methods there are also C^oo methods.
But the consensus is that analytic is nicer.

I do not see what there " is to challange ".
I see no contraditions.

And i suspect most here feel the same way.

regards

tommy1729
(07/04/2022, 12:38 PM)tommy1729 Wrote:
(07/04/2022, 09:56 AM)Daniel Wrote: So Kneser derives the real half iterate of the exponential function. I think his proof is great, but he makes use of the complex numbers to obtain his results on the real numbers. Shouldn't a solution on the real numbers have a proof not resorting to complex numbers?

I dont wanna be rude or annoying but most methods here are not based on complex numbers or complex fixpoints.
We make complex plots to convince ourselves that they are analytic though.

Although most are not proven and such, I find it remarkable that you ask this.

Also simply using the appropriate analytic 1-periodic function theta(z) transforms any analytic tetration to another analytic tetration; by using the simple

tetrationnew(z) = tetrationold(z + theta(z))

In essense even the riemann mapping/kneser mapping is a theta thing.

I recently added my personal ( subjective ?) list of types of ways to do tetration.

most methods (like kneser too ) do not solve directly for a half-iterate ( as you mentioned in the OP ) but instead construct a superfunction or abel function , sexp or slog.

Since ln(z) does not have real fixpoints , it makes sense that many fixpoints methods start from a complex fixpoint.

Also we usually want some kind of uniqueness criterion, although in the last few years we somewhat did not focus on it imo.

Apart from analytic methods there are also C^oo methods.
But the consensus is that analytic is nicer.

I do not see what there " is to challange ".
I see no contraditions.

And i suspect most here feel the same way.

regards

tommy1729

Thanks Tommy, I think it is cool that folks have proofs that only use the real numbers.
Daniel

Edit: I apologize for the title. I'm experimenting with stating things in a controversial manner so as to get a response.
Daniel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Behaviour of tetration into the real negatives Shanghai46 1 578 10/12/2023, 11:01 PM
Last Post: leon
  Real tetration as a limit of complex tetration Daniel 6 1,557 10/10/2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: leon
  Real and complex tetration Daniel 13 4,119 04/04/2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: JmsNxn
  Range of complex tetration as real Daniel 2 1,322 10/22/2022, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Shanghai46
  From complex to real tetration Daniel 3 1,586 10/21/2022, 07:55 PM
Last Post: Daniel
  Cost of real tetration Daniel 1 1,046 09/30/2022, 04:41 PM
Last Post: bo198214
  Real Multivalued/Parametrized Iteration Groups bo198214 11 3,905 09/10/2022, 11:56 AM
Last Post: tommy1729
  Constructive real tetration Daniel 1 975 09/01/2022, 05:41 AM
  Complex to real tetration Daniel 1 990 08/14/2022, 04:18 AM
  Constructing a real valued Fibonacci iteration--its relation to \(1/1+z\) JmsNxn 7 2,648 08/13/2022, 12:05 AM