Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parabolic Iteration, again
Also, just to be clear, if you were wondering where the 6 came from in:

in this post, I thought I'd explain. According to the generating function above, this should all be the same, only with and . So if we plug these into the formula above we find that:

so thats where the 6 comes from. The negative actually comes from the harmonic numbers, since:
and

I think this might actually be the generating function for all but I can't find a reference for this. The only place I have found that goes into depth into this kind of generalized harmonic number is MathWorld, although apparently Conway and Guy go into detail, I'll have to read their book again to find out...

Andrew Robbins
bo198214 Wrote:There are no denominators depending on the value of any .

You're right about , and I was wrong.
I was thinking of A. A. Bennett "The Iteration of Functions of one Variable" where he says (page 30)
Bennett Wrote:The only other cases which can arise are the singular ones, and in these, .
Which is refering to the Carleman matrix of a function with a fixed point at zero. So if and then the Carleman matrix is not invertible (i.e. singular). This is completely different than what I remember reading, and it doesn't apply to at all. This means that the case is a singularity of my generating functions, and not a singularity of parabolic iteration.

Andrew Robbins

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this THE equation for parabolic fix ? tommy1729 5 5,581 04/16/2015, 10:01 PM
Last Post: tommy1729
  Iteration series: Different fixpoints and iteration series (of an example polynomial) Gottfried 0 2,677 09/04/2011, 05:59 AM
Last Post: Gottfried
  Fractional iteration of x^2+1 at infinity and fractional iteration of exp bo198214 10 15,556 06/09/2011, 05:56 AM
Last Post: bo198214
  Parabolic Iteration andydude 3 9,878 08/16/2007, 07:51 PM
Last Post: bo198214