The Mathematics Underground
I am interested and care about the people that have been on this forum. I wonder how folks that are no longer around are doing and what they are doing. There are several ways to promote mathematics. You can do research, teach or chronicle the history of a subject. I am fascinated by tetration and the people who research it. I find it unfortunate that tetration research has historically been done outside of academia although that is now changing. I think of this as dark mathematics or the mathematics underground. Someone should write a book about this, I sure as hell would buy a copy. I have written a math biography and would love to read any material folks wish to share about who they are and their connection to tetration.
Cheers,
Daniel
Daniel
(07/04/2022, 04:01 PM)Daniel Wrote: I am interested and care about the people that have been on this forum. I wonder how folks that are no longer around are doing and what they are doing. There are several ways to promote mathematics. You can do research, teach or chronicle the history of a subject. I am fascinated by tetration and the people who research it. I find it unfortunate that tetration research has historically been done outside of academia although that is now changing. I think of this as dark mathematics or the mathematics underground. Someone should write a book about this, I sure as hell would buy a copy. I have written a math biography and would love to read any material folks wish to share about who they are and their connection to tetration.
Cheers,
Daniel

Well I play chess and i prefer open-source info.

Most of my personal life and business life do not define me.
That may be a controversial standpoint but we are just trying to survive in this world.
Ergo business relationships and such are mainly that.

Every topic is taboo even in 2022. Perhaps even more than ever.
So I am hesitant to share my personal opinions such as politics and whatever.

On the other hand I am interested in working along.
Im thinking about 3d chess and such things.

I have some nice quotes too.

perhaps ...
I 1971, when I was 15, I was studying complex numbers and Taylor's series when I discovered the Euler identity. It was like the ultimate high and I was a math junky. I wanted to find a greater generalization of numbers than the complex numbers. I figured I needed something outside of mainstream mathematics. The Ackermann function seemed a good candidate and I couldn't find any material on tetration. I was extremely cocky when I came to mathematics and felt this was a serious problem I could take on. This is the origin of my obsession with complex numbers.

The next year I got hardcore into yoga and meditation. Mostly I felt connected with karma yoga, the yoga of social service. I was deeply inspired by Einstein for his science, humanity and natural spirituality. Unfortunately I felt such people were rare and we needed more. I thought I had the makings of an excellent scientist and spiritual potential to become a truly good person. 

I'm afraid that, like others, I was bitten by the "use tetration to get famous" bug. I was 95% mad scientist and 5% wanting to be famous. Ironically part of the charm of tetration for me was the exclusivity, the intellectual isolation. Likely from my moderate autism. So I wanted to be famous for a subject no one would likely understand. That wasn't fated to work out well.

Currently I just got to retirement at sixty five with too much free time on my hands. Smile No longer working with Stephen Wolfram; no longer have Mathematica, so I need to learn GP-Pari.
Daniel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Eretrandre Mathematics Forum Catullus 3 1,801 10/23/2022, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bo198214