Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ackermann function and hyper operations
I wanted to say something about the first part, "1 Introduction". In this part of the paper, you equate the original Ackermann function with a[n]b, which (stictly speaking) is not true. Robert Munafo has discussed this on his website (http://www.mrob.com/pub/math/largenum.html), and I have also verified this for myself by reading the original paper Ackermann wrote. Ackermann's tetration is a function which is an offset from tetration. Because it is an offset of tetration, is not pentation at all. It wasn't until Reuben Goodstein that the "offset" disappeared. I think we should take this into account when discussing the original Ackermann function, because its evolution is way more complicated than any introduction can really summarize.
@Andrew: Good! Thats a very attentive observation.

While verifying myself I found that the deviation (up to a difference of 1 in the rank) from our operator sequence comes from forming an unnecessary odd initial condition. I dont know why he does, perhaps it is more suitable for his proof of non-primitive recursiveness.

In his article
Ackermann, W. (1928 ). Zum Hilbertschen Aufbau der reellen Zahlen. Math. Ann., 99, 118–133.

Ackermann defines:

Where in our notation ( is a free variable here to determine the argument of the function to be applied).

So everything would be good if the initial value was for . Then would . But instead Ackermann defines:

where and in today notation with the Kronecker-.
This definition is hence equivalent to:
for
for
for
as he also mentiones in his paper.

So he introduces a third initial value besides 0 and 1 which causes the deviation from our operator sequence:

PS: Munafo gives a very detailed description of the different versions of the Ackermann-function here. It is a very good reference to show to someone for explaining about different versions of the Ackermann-function. All glory to Andrew for digging out such references.
Also, about a month ago, I redesigned the Hyperoperation page, to try and explain these differences.
(08/23/2009, 09:45 AM)bo198214 Wrote: While verifying myself I found that the deviation (up to a difference of 1 in the rank) from our operator sequence comes from forming an unnecessary odd initial condition. I dont know why he does, perhaps it is more suitable for his proof of non-primitive recursiveness.

Oh now I found out where this odd initial conditions comes from!
I assert that Ackermann originally wanted to define left-braced hyperoperations!
Then this initial condition for makes sense!

Left-braced hyperoperations would similarly be defined by:

here again we have and .
But the forth operation is not as one would obtain with the initial condition , but it is due to the initial value !

So this initial condition makes left-braced hyperoperations look simpler, while it makes right-braced hyperoperations looking odd.
I think he started with the left-braced hyperoperations and then switched to the faster growing right-braced hyperoperations, perhaps it was more suitable for his proof of non-primitive recursiveness of

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Could there be an "arctic geometry" by raising the rank of all operations? Syzithryx 2 108 07/24/2019, 05:59 PM
Last Post: Syzithryx
  Is there a function space for tetration? Chenjesu 0 91 06/23/2019, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Chenjesu
  Degamma function Xorter 0 596 10/22/2018, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Xorter
  Hyper-volume by integration Xorter 0 1,155 04/08/2017, 01:52 PM
Last Post: Xorter
  Hyper operators in computability theory JmsNxn 5 3,156 02/15/2017, 10:07 PM
Last Post: MphLee
  Recursive formula generating bounded hyper-operators JmsNxn 0 1,261 01/17/2017, 05:10 AM
Last Post: JmsNxn
  holomorphic binary operators over naturals; generalized hyper operators JmsNxn 15 14,660 08/22/2016, 12:19 AM
Last Post: JmsNxn
  Should tetration be a multivalued function? marraco 17 14,231 01/14/2016, 04:24 AM
Last Post: marraco
  Introducing new special function : Lambert_t(z,r) tommy1729 2 3,089 01/10/2016, 06:14 PM
Last Post: tommy1729
  Intresting ternary operations ? tommy1729 0 1,408 06/11/2015, 08:18 AM
Last Post: tommy1729