Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
regular sexp: curve near h=-2 (h=-2 + eps*I)
Just to have a nice picture for the vizualization of that unusual thing "complex heights" I made the following graph with our beloved base b=sqrt(2), where the imaginary part of the height parameter increases from 0 to 2 Pi /log(log(2)).
The latter means simply to rotate the value of the scröder-function for some real h, say, if we get for x0=1 the schröder-value s(x0)= s(1) = -0.632, then we use the rotation of this value in the complex plane by a parameter k in the following way s(1)(k) = -0.632 * exp(i*2*Pi*k/64) for k=0..64 and plug that value into the inverse schröder-function to get the iterate of desired complex height.
This gives ellipses for -2<real(h)< inf , and if the imaginary part of the h- value is not zero we can even plot for real(h) = -3, real(h) = -4 , ... real(h)-> - inf
This gives the following curves for some h with real heights and k=0..64

Then I was interested in the behaviour of the curve where the real part is -2. Does it diverge to imaginary +- infinity? Does it converge to real(-inf)? Or will the two parts of the curve converge to parallels of the x-axis (=constant imaginary part)?
I found the result surprising: not only, that it seems, they converge to an imaginary part of +-c where c = Pi/log(2), but also, that in the plot with exponentially scaled x-axis the stepwidth approximates to a constant value.
The "exponentially scaled" x-axis means simply, that the (negative) x-coordinates go into the exponent in b^x, so for x-> -inf I get b^x->0 instead.
In the following graph I took the very small stepwidth of k/2^32 for the imaginary part of h - and whatever small stepwidth I use, it seems always, that the curve approximates that parallels to the x-axis with distant of c.

Hmm. I'm not familiar with things like Riemann-sphere, but I remember something like if we take the plot from the euclidean plane to the surface of a sphere, then the infinities meet at one point. Would such translation be useful here too?

Gottfried
Gottfried Helms, Kassel
Didnt Jay D already show similar pictures here?
(03/09/2010, 10:33 PM)bo198214 Wrote: Didnt Jay D already show similar pictures here?

Yes - thanks! Only that they are much more informative and much much nicer... Smile
I liked them very much, when i saw them first, but wouldn't have realized the relation to my own question in focus...

Especially that one, of which mine is just a rough&small part:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=143]

It seems, that my rescaling of the x-axis to exp(real(f(k))), which maps all on the way to the negative infinity to a finite open interval - to the left. To have the same to the right I'd do a quadratic scaling - something like exp(- real(f(k))^2 ) or so... let's see...

----

Hey Lord, won't you buy me ... a new directory structure for our forum ... some treeview were nice...
Gottfried Helms, Kassel

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  fast accurate Kneser sexp algorithm sheldonison 38 70,498 01/14/2016, 05:05 AM
Last Post: sheldonison
  regular vs intuitive (formerly: natural) bo198214 7 10,325 06/24/2010, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Gottfried
  regular sexp:different fixpoints Gottfried 6 11,151 08/11/2009, 06:47 PM
Last Post: jaydfox
  sexp(strip) is winding around the fixed points Kouznetsov 8 12,244 06/29/2009, 10:05 AM
Last Post: bo198214
  small base b=0.04 via regular iteration and repelling fixpoint Gottfried 0 2,288 06/26/2009, 09:59 AM
  sexp and slog at a microcalculator Kouznetsov 0 3,036 01/08/2009, 08:51 AM
Last Post: Kouznetsov
  diagonal vs regular bo198214 16 16,058 05/09/2008, 10:12 AM