A fundamental flaw of an operator who's super operator is addition
Well I came across this little paradox when I was fiddling around with logarithmic semi operators. It actually brings to light a second valid argument for the aesthetic nature of working with base root (2) and furthers my belief that this is the "natural" extension to the ackermann function.

Consider an operator who is commutative and associative, but above all else, has a super operator which is addition. this means

\( a\, \oplus\, a = a + 2 \)

or in general
\( a_1\, \oplus\, a_2\,\oplus\,a_3...\oplus\,a_n = a + n \)

The contradiction comes about here:

\( a\, \oplus\, a = a + 2 \)
\( (a\, \oplus\, a)\,\oplus\,(a\, \oplus\, a) = (a+2) \, \oplus\,(a +2) = a + 4 \)

right now:

\( [(a\, \oplus\, a)\,\oplus\,(a\, \oplus\, a)]\,\oplus\,[(a\, \oplus\, a)\,\oplus\,(a\, \oplus\, a)] = (a+4)\, \oplus\, (a+4) = a + 6 \)

However, if you count em, there are exactly eight a's, not six.

Voila! this proves you cannot have an associative and commutative operator who's super operator is addition.

The operator which obeys:
\( a\,\oplus\,a = a+ 2 \)
but who's super operator is not addition is, you've guessed it, logarithmic semi operator base root (2)

or

\( a\,\oplus\,b = a\,\bigtriangleup_{\sqrt{2}}^{-1}\,b = \log_{\sqrt{2}}(\sqrt{2}^a + \sqrt{2}^b) \)
yes that works for 2 a's ...

but not for 3 ...

:s
(09/05/2011, 11:50 PM)tommy1729 Wrote: yes that works for 2 a's ...

but not for 3 ...

that's my point!

You cannot have an operator that works for all n a's, only at fix points

Quote:Voila! this proves you cannot have an associative and commutative operator who's super operator is addition.
reread my proof.

the one that works for three is:

\( a\,\bigtriangleup_{3^{\frac{1}{3}}}^{-1}\,b\,=\log_{3^{\frac{1}{3}}}(3^{\frac{a}{3}} + 3^{\frac{b}{3}}) \)
pretty ingenious,
PS : About the successor, although some consider the successor operator as the one that comes before addition, but the thing is that is unary. Other way could oe consider the Min operator as in "tropical geometry, but not all like that operator since not produce a change about the initial values...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_geometry
http://staffwww.fullcoll.edu/dclahane/co...entalk.pdf

...probably would be nice a half-operation between Min operation and Addition operation
Shouldn't this follow directly from the fact that addition is axiomatic? If such a hyperoperation existed below addition, then you'd be contradicting the existence of the axioms upon which you've constructed addition in the first place to even define real numbers.
(09/04/2011, 05:16 AM)JmsNxn Wrote: The operator which obeys:
\( a\,\oplus\,a = a+ 2 \)
but who's super operator is not addition is, you've guessed it, logarithmic semi operator base root (2)

or

\( a\,\oplus\,b = a\,\bigtriangleup_{\sqrt{2}}^{-1}\,b = \log_{\sqrt{2}}(\sqrt{2}^a + \sqrt{2}^b) \)
\(\forall a\in\Bbb{R}\log_\sqrt2(\sqrt2^a+\sqrt2^a)=\log_\sqrt2(\sqrt2^a*2)=a+2\) It is not true for all a.
Quote:
tommy1729 Wrote: Wrote:yes that works for 2 a's ...

but not for 3 ...

that's my point!

You cannot have an operator that works for all n a's, only at fix points

Quote: Wrote:Voila! this proves you cannot have an associative and commutative operator who's super operator is addition.
reread my proof.

the one that works for three is:

[Image: mimetex.cgi?a\,\bigtriangleup_%7B3%5E%7B\frac%7B...ac%7Bb%7D%7B3%7D%7D)]
\(\forall a\in\Bbb{R}\log_\sqrt[3]3(\sqrt[3]3^a+\sqrt[3]3^a+\sqrt[3]3^a)=\log_\sqrt[3]3(\sqrt[3]3^a*3)=a+3\) It is not true for all a.
Please remember to stay hydrated.
ฅ(ミ⚈ ﻌ ⚈ミ)ฅ Sincerely: Catullus /ᐠ_ ꞈ _ᐟ\
Honestly, I don't see the point in this nitpicking.
One could argue for going thru all the forum's posts adding universal quantifiers to every statement...

MSE MphLee
Mother Law \((\sigma+1)0=\sigma (\sigma+1)\)
S Law \(\bigcirc_f^{\lambda}\square_f^{\lambda^+}(g)=\square_g^{\lambda}\bigcirc_g^{\lambda^+}(f)\)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Between addition and product ( pic ) tommy1729 9 11,972 06/25/2022, 09:34 PM
Last Post: tommy1729
  special addition tommy1729 0 4,128 01/11/2015, 02:00 AM
Last Post: tommy1729
  Generalized arithmetic operator hixidom 16 33,440 06/11/2014, 05:10 PM
Last Post: hixidom
  Hyper operator space JmsNxn 0 4,391 08/12/2013, 10:17 PM
Last Post: JmsNxn
  Operator definition discrepancy? cacolijn 2 8,624 01/07/2013, 09:13 AM
Last Post: cacolijn
  extension of the Ackermann function to operators less than addition JmsNxn 2 8,825 11/06/2011, 08:06 PM
  the infinite operator, is there any research into this? JmsNxn 2 10,902 07/15/2011, 02:23 AM
  between addition and multiplication lloyd 27 62,013 03/16/2011, 07:13 PM
Last Post: lloyd
  Functional super-iteration and hierarchy of functional hyper-iterations Base-Acid Tetration 24 62,052 05/12/2009, 07:11 AM
Last Post: bo198214