Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non-trivial extension of max(n,1)-1 to the reals and its iteration.
I was very interested in the problem of extending to the reals (that is actual the "incomplete" predecessor function over the naturals)

I've asked the same question on MSE but it was a bit ignored...I hope because it is trivial!

http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/...its-fracti

The question is about extensions of to the reals with some conditions

Quote:A- only if
B- is not discontinuous

I just noticed that I've made a lot of errors in my MathSE question, I'll fix it in this post (and later on mathSE)

From successor and inverse successor we can define the subtraction in this way

and

with , that is a modified predecessor function we could define its iteration using an "esotic subtraction" that is "incomplete" for naturals and is "complete" for reals (like we are cutting all the negative integers)

Quote:

In this way we have

Quote: and

How we can go in order to extend to real ?

For example what can we know about ?

for example

if we put

then if

if is not a natural number

!?? what is going on here?

If is natural

in this case we should have that .
What do you think about this?
MathStackExchange account:MphLee
Your function is equal to (x + abs(x))/2.

abs(x) can be written as sgn(x) x.

sgn(x) is well approximated by tanh(100x).

This gives that your function is very close to

(x+tanh(100x) x)/2

The problem with your function is that it has all positive integers as fixpoints.
Too many fixpoints to have half-iterates valid everywhere.

Im not sure if you want an interpolation or an approximation like I just gave.

Also the reason you get little response is probably because your mainly asking " what makes this question more intresting " ?
If you know what I mean.

Asking what properties to look for or asking what questions to ask is similar.

You have to decide what you want to do , want to see solved or what properties you desire.

Otherwise it sounds weird. Kinda like asking for " a special integer ".

Math is like driving a car without a map.
You dont know where you will end up. But if you want to end up somewhere you have too start , stop and drive.

I hope my metaphor is understood.

I assume you are still young. You dont have to tell me about your age but I suspect it.
Hope you dont mind me saying.

regards

tommy1729
(05/16/2014, 09:21 PM)tommy1729 Wrote: Your function is equal to (x + abs(x))/2.

abs(x) can be written as sgn(x) x.

sgn(x) is well approximated by tanh(100x).

This gives that your function is very close to

(x+tanh(100x) x)/2

I've plotted this and is the same as or the same as
I know this but I was loking for a function that coincides with only for the naturals...
If I did not understand something of your formula of approximation tell me.

Quote:The problem with your function is that it has all positive integers as fixpoints.
Too many fixpoints to have half-iterates valid everywhere.
Ok..I don't get this (I'm not good with analysis and the iteration theory)...
but help to to understand pls.
A fixpoint is a x such that in the case of ... is it the only fixpoint of A?

Maybe you talk about the fact that and for every . This is really a big problem for the real iteration problem?

Quote:Im not sure if you want an interpolation or an approximation like I just gave.

Also the reason you get little response is probably because your mainly asking " what makes this question more intresting " ?
If you know what I mean.

Asking what properties to look for or asking what questions to ask is similar.

You have to decide what you want to do , want to see solved or what properties you desire.

Otherwise it sounds weird. Kinda like asking for " a special integer ".

Math is like driving a car without a map.
You dont know where you will end up. But if you want to end up somewhere you have too start , stop and drive.

I hope my metaphor is understood.
Yea I know, the question is a bit unclear and is because I don't exatly know what to ask..or how to ask it. I'm a bit confused about this problem but it is very interesting for me and I think it can be important for oher things I'm doing.

Quote:I assume you are still young. You dont have to tell me about your age but I suspect it.
Hope you dont mind me saying.

regards

tommy1729

Don't worry I'm enough young (but not very very young)
Maybe you feel more my lack of knowledge on some really basic topics...I don't study math at school probably thats why.
Update: I voted for the closure of the question on MSE because it is not clear at all.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Possible continuous extension of tetration to the reals Dasedes 0 1,092 10/10/2016, 04:57 AM
Last Post: Dasedes
  Andrew Robbins' Tetration Extension bo198214 32 38,649 08/22/2016, 04:19 PM
Last Post: Gottfried
  Proof Ackermann function extended to reals cannot be commutative/associative JmsNxn 1 2,725 06/15/2013, 08:02 PM
Last Post: MphLee
  extension of the Ackermann function to operators less than addition JmsNxn 2 3,618 11/06/2011, 08:06 PM
Last Post: JmsNxn
  Iteration series: Different fixpoints and iteration series (of an example polynomial) Gottfried 0 2,604 09/04/2011, 05:59 AM
Last Post: Gottfried
  Fractional iteration of x^2+1 at infinity and fractional iteration of exp bo198214 10 15,156 06/09/2011, 05:56 AM
Last Post: bo198214
  Tetration Extension to Real Heights chobe 3 5,574 05/15/2010, 01:39 AM
  Tetration extension for bases between 1 and eta dantheman163 16 16,655 12/19/2009, 10:55 AM
  Extension of tetration to other branches mike3 15 18,517 10/28/2009, 07:42 AM
  Dmitrii Kouznetsov's Tetration Extension andydude 38 33,908 11/20/2008, 01:31 AM
Last Post: Kouznetsov