[MSE] Help on a special kind of functional equation.
Hi, I know this is not directly related to tetration. It is related to iteration theory and solving functional equations.

https://math.stackexchange.com/questions...alpha-beta

The question is the following \( f(g,\beta\alpha,x+y)=f(g^\alpha,\beta,x)f(g,\alpha,y)

\)

Mind that here x,y can be thought to be numbers. But the crucial part is that \( \alpha \), \( \beta \) and \( g \) are intended to be matrices, formal powerseries or functions (non commutative objects in general) under composition.
I ask also here because with JmsNxn deep familiarity with iterated composition (in the question i rendered the Omega notation as a product to not scare away normies) I could get some knowledge.

MSE MphLee
Mother Law \((\sigma+1)0=\sigma (\sigma+1)\)
S Law \(\bigcirc_f^{\lambda}\square_f^{\lambda^+}(g)=\square_g^{\lambda}\bigcirc_g^{\lambda^+}(f)\)
Is this some kind of semi-direct product? Jesus; that would be cool...

Let me think on this... I'll see if I can think of anything.

Is \( g^\alpha \) really supposed to be an element of \( \text{Aut} \); rather than necessarily a conjugation?

Update:

So I'm not certain I can answer this; but, did you understand when I introduced the congruent integral (if you read the paper)? This is a different form of the compositional integral that is in a "modded out space". I can reduce (I think); your question into the abelian case; but I need to know how much of the congruent integral I should explain.

Also; what the solutions \( f \) are referred to as is homormorphisms of the semi-direct products between two groups.

In this case you are taking an inner automorphism \( g^{\alpha}\in \text{InnAut}(G) \subset \text{Aut}(G) \). Then you are constructing what is typically written,

\(
G \propto_{g^\alpha} N\\
\)

And you are looking for

\(
f : G \propto_{g^\alpha} N \to G
\)

There's a word for this; I can't remember it exactly.

Also, this forum doesn't have the best latex implementation; so \( \propto \) should actually be the symbol \( \rtimes \); which is more angular.  It should look more like this [Image: 8905]

I'll explain this better tomorrow. Long night; but it's at least SOMETHING like this. Nonetheless; your answer lies in semi-direct products.
I finally can answer your question. I was a little confused about the details before; but it's definitely a semi-direct product.

Let's first of all, ignore the function \( f \). Let's write a product,

\(
(xy,\beta \alpha) = (\varphi(\alpha)(x),\beta)(y, \alpha)\\
x,y \in N\,\,\alpha,\beta \in G\\
\)

And call this group,

\(
N \propto_\varphi G\\
\)

Where \( \varphi(\alpha) : G \to \text{Aut}(N) \). Where \( \text{Aut}(N) \) is the group of isomorphisms of \( N \).

Now; there are many choices of \( \varphi(\alpha) \) (something to do with Euler's phi function will be involved in the estimate of how many). Now when you write \( g^{\alpha} = \alpha g \alpha^{-1} \in \text{Aut}(G) \), you are choosing an isomorphism of \( \text{Aut}(G) \to \text{Aut}(N) \); let's call this \( \psi : \text{Aut}(G) \to \text{Aut}(N) \). We can do this because we're only going to care about \( f \) in the final result. And this is just considering \( f(g,\alpha,x) \) at an implicit level in the preimage and considering it equivalent.

Now, here is where I wasn't making any sense before. You wrote your equation backwards from the usual semi-direct product. The right way I should've written; which I apologize for saying. Is that it's,

\(
N \propto_{\psi(g)} G = N \propto_{\varphi} G\\
\)

You are now looking for projections,

\(
f(N \propto_{\psi(g)} G) \to G\\
\)

I fucking knew it was semi-direct products! Took me a while to think about it though...

Regards, James. I hope this helps.

Long story short; you have a lot of group theory at your disposal, Mphlee. May I recommend dummit & foote.
Yes!
That's very promising. I'll have to work hard on this. Thank you so much! I believe that it is the solution: I just need to rephrase it, play with it a bit and prove it with my hands.

This problem popped out at the intersection between the abstract Jabotinky foundation and superfunction-spaces. Can't wait to find time to work on the details.

Thank you again.... nobody there on MSE even had the kindness to drop a single keyword. For group theorist this should be the abc... for sure my question is not well written, my English su*x, but I don't feel is a bad question.

MSE MphLee
Mother Law \((\sigma+1)0=\sigma (\sigma+1)\)
S Law \(\bigcirc_f^{\lambda}\square_f^{\lambda^+}(g)=\square_g^{\lambda}\bigcirc_g^{\lambda^+}(f)\)
I think your question was written very well. It was probably more suited to Mathoverflow though; stack exchange tends to be mostly for undergraduate homework problems. But even then, the community can be a tad abrasive; and they always poke holes in technicalities while ignoring the larger picture. I deleted my stack exchange accounts a long time ago; bored by how little they actually help. Sometimes, you have to be left to your own wits Undecided .

I suspect though, no one saw that it was a semi-direct product... just a weird one. Only reason I saw it was because I was thinking about bullet notation. And I was initially trying to give an example of your function.

Regards, James

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NT][SPECIAL][UFO] f(x) + f(x/2) + f(x/3) + ... = x tommy1729 1 468 10/09/2023, 11:42 PM
Last Post: leon
  Extended Schroeder equation Shanghai46 1 433 10/09/2023, 11:24 PM
Last Post: leon
  double functional equation , continuum sum and analytic continuation tommy1729 6 1,770 03/05/2023, 12:36 AM
Last Post: tommy1729
  [special] binary partition zeta function tommy1729 1 655 02/27/2023, 01:23 PM
  [MSE] iterated sin using Besselfunction 1st kind Gottfried 7 2,322 12/18/2022, 02:06 PM
Last Post: Gottfried
  tommy's displacement equation tommy1729 1 960 09/16/2022, 12:24 PM
  Functional power Xorter 3 4,897 07/11/2022, 06:03 AM
Last Post: Catullus
Question Functional Square Root Catullus 24 7,653 07/01/2022, 09:17 PM
  A special equation : f^[t](x) = f(t x)/t tommy1729 6 2,427 06/17/2022, 12:16 PM
  Modding out functional relationships; An introduction to congruent integration. JmsNxn 3 2,719 06/23/2021, 07:07 AM
Last Post: JmsNxn