Old Research Paper
I could not find my own paper in this forum, so I'm posting it again. It's mostly general continuous iteration stuff.

Attached Files
.pdf   Robbins_Research.pdf (Size: 335.49 KB / Downloads: 827)
(12/20/2017, 02:50 AM)andydude Wrote: I could not find my own paper in this forum, so I'm posting it again. It's mostly general continuous iteration stuff.

Hi Andrew - 

I took the opportunity to look again at the method that you proposed in your paper. I notice that I do not know exactly, whether it was shown whether the occuring series for the Abel-function are convergent, divergent, or convergent in a certain interval of bases. However I remember that Jay D. Fox has analyzed your ansatz with very large matrices and thus high accuracy - but again I do not remember any mention of range of convergences and/or maximal precision.        

Is there something explicite about this - here in our forum or elsewhere? (I think P. Walker in his own application had left this question open) .           

Before finding something I've just done some series expansions for bases b=e, up to b=e^2 and have found a tendency towards divergence of the coefficients when the matrix-sizes were increased up to (in some cases n=1024x1024). Examples for b=e^2 down to b=5 and also a bit smaller showed a significant pattern which suggest a general tendency to unbounded, diverging coefficients but where the divergence begin to occur at high indexes/at high powers of x in the associated power series.                   

If this is indeed an open problem and if it is also of interest for you I could a) simply sendout my Excelfile with datasets and pictures for a couple of bases b or b) could invest some time to comment on the pictures and insert them here (if this shall not be too complicated for the Forum's software, and I'm not too lazy "between years" ... )

Besides of that -

I'd like to wish everyone a happy  new year

Gottfried
Gottfried Helms, Kassel
Unfortunately I have never heard or discovered a proof or disproof of convergence of Peter Walker's method or my variation of it. I was very close to some kind of closed form for the super-logarithm approximants, which I was hoping to use to find convergence properties, but I never finished that research. I can dig up some notes on it if you want to work together on it.

Regards,
Andrew Robbins
Also, I know there are several pari/gp implementations on here, and I have a Mathematica implementation, and a partial Sage implementation. I know pari/gp is free, but so is Sage, I think to make these subjects more accessible to all, I should revisit my Sage implementation at some point. SageMath also includes pari/gp as a way to implement functions, so maybe I might end up using the pari/gp code in the Sage implementation.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An old paper I did, I think deserves its own thread JmsNxn 4 1,662 12/30/2022, 11:39 PM
Last Post: tommy1729
  Small research update MphLee 2 2,150 10/26/2021, 12:22 AM
Last Post: MphLee
  Sat March 6th second Tetration mtg; Peter Walker's 1991 paper sheldonison 13 10,537 03/07/2021, 08:30 PM
Last Post: JmsNxn
  The second iteration of my most recent paper JmsNxn 3 3,205 02/07/2021, 11:11 PM
Last Post: JmsNxn
  Tetration research: 1986 - 1991 Daniel 0 2,668 03/20/2020, 02:47 AM
Last Post: Daniel
  changing terminology (was: overview paper co-author invitation) andydude 49 134,076 11/05/2009, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Base-Acid Tetration
  overview paper co-author invitation bo198214 20 62,227 08/12/2009, 07:00 PM
Last Post: bo198214
  Paper with iteration intro andydude 4 13,919 05/13/2009, 07:53 AM
Last Post: andydude