f(s),h(s) and "hairs".
" Hair theory "

Let f(s) be one of those recent compositional asymtotics of tetration.

consider a = f(s_1), b = f(s_2) such that Re(s_1),Re(s_2) > 1.

Now let hair(a),hair(b) be the continu iterations paths(curves) of iterated exponentials of a,b.

So the hair/path/curves starts at a,b and then follow the direction exp^[r](a) or exp^[r](b) for real r >=0.

If f(s) was exactly tetration those paths would be flat and parallel to eachother.

So these hairs must become flatter and flatter as r grows to +oo and exp^[r](a) , exp^[r](b) = f(s_1®) , f(s_2®) 
and Re(s_1®),Re(s_2®) grow also to +oo.
( because we are approximating tetration better and better )

Some questions arise :

1) 

When ( if ever ) do such hairs self-intersect ?

And in particular when a,b are close to the real line ?

2)

When does hair(a) intersect with hair(b) ?

if hair(a) eventually becomes the same path (fuse*) as hair(b) or vice versa , this does not count as intersecting.

Again in particular when a,b are close to the real line ?

3) travelling a certain lenght on a hair implies how much iterations of exp ??

In the limit ( r or s going to +oo) this should probably be length 1 implies 1 iteration of exp.

In particular close to the real line.

4) A hair never splits in 2.

5) two hairs with starting points f(s_1),f(s_2) such that Re(s_1) = Re(s_2) never fuse* into the same hair. 

Some questions are easier or harder than others. But ALL are intuitionistic imho.

These questions are both concrete and vague.

A) what superexponential is used for exp^[r] ?
B) what f(s) is used ?

But when we pick those 2 (A,B) the question is very concrete.

..and it makes sense to pick an exp^[r] based on the f(s) method.
( even though at present , even that might be a dispute or choice how to actually do it )

Yes this is very related and similar to a recent topic :

f(h(s)) = exp(f(s))

h(s) = g(exp(f(s))).

So much depends on h(s).
In fact it makes sense to define exp^[r] based on the f(s) resp h(s).

Since h(s) is close to s + 1 near the real line , the lenght argument makes sense.
And exp^[1/2](v) seems iso to ( approximate ) length increase of 1/2.

The term partition also relates here.

if an infinite set of dense hairs never intersect they locally partition a dense complex space.

regards

tommy1729
its a bit abuse notation but hair(a) might be better described as hair(s_1) because there are many s such that f(s) = a ...

But then we need to compute the inverse f of a to find s_1 ...

Just keep it in mind.

Hair (a,s_1) might be clearer but this is also abuse notation lol

regards

tommy1729
What do you mean with f? Your f in the definition satisfies f(s+1)=exp(f(s))? Or is f(s+1)=exp(f(s))+something(s)

Quote:If f(s) was exactly tetration those paths would be flat and parallel to eachother
I don't see how this can be true. If wee see hair(a) as a path (curve) I don't see it being "flat", aka a line. They are the images of rays in the complex planes (parallel to the x axis) under the function f but when f maps them I expect them to curve even in the case of tetration. Or do you mean "flat" in another way?

MSE MphLee
Mother Law \((\sigma+1)0=\sigma (\sigma+1)\)
S Law \(\bigcirc_f^{\lambda}\square_f^{\lambda^+}(g)=\square_g^{\lambda}\bigcirc_g^{\lambda^+}(f)\)
(05/20/2021, 11:54 PM)tommy1729 Wrote: Now let hair(a),hair(b) be the continu iterations paths(curves) of iterated exponentials of a,b.

So the hair/path/curves starts at a,b and then follow the direction exp^[r](a) or exp^[r](b) for real r >=0.

Hello Tommy, is  your definition of a hair compatible with that of Devaney? I ask, because I was unable so far to completely understand what Devaney meant: a (discrete) orbit or a (continuous) trajectory... (I couldn't make it sure even by the secondary literature that I had/found so far and especially I lack the original/introductional Devaney's book)

Gottfried
Gottfried Helms, Kassel
Ok sorry I was not clear enough.

A hair is a shape.

So for instance let tet(s) be analytic tetration.

a = tet(1 + i) 

then consider for r > 0 : exp^[r](a).

this is a continu curve in the complex plane.

Now arctet(exp^[r](a)) = 1 + i + r.

This is a flat line with starting point 1 + i.

the SHAPE of that flat line with starting point 1 + i is a flat line starting at 1+i.
so the hair ( of exp^[r](a) with respect to tet(s) ) is this flat curve.

NOW FOR A GENERAL APPROXIMATION OF tetration f(s) we consider

hair = shape ( inverse_f(exp^[r](s_1)) ).

SO a hair is the shape (not the function and not the values of ) of h(s) where 

f(h(s)) = exp(f(s)).

That is what I meant with : " If f(s) was exactly tetration those paths would be flat and parallel to eachother "
I hope this clarifies.

regards

tommy1729
Just a quick point.

I believe this construction of hairs will only work locally. As,

\(
\text{arctet}(\exp^{[r]}(1+i)) = 1+i + r\\
\)

Is only doable for local values. This is because arctet is undefined at all periodic points, and these make up a large portion of \( \mathbb{C} \) (sort of popping up everywhere); and additionally that we can't define \( \exp^{[r]} \) without a significant discussion of branch cuts (which slog, etc...). But this seems interesting.

You are definitely correct though, that as \( \Re(s_1) \to \infty \) we should get a flatter and flatter line; as h will get closer to looking like \( s_1 + 1 + o(e^{-\lambda s_1}) \) (if we take \( f = \beta_\lambda \)). I'd just like to add that your formula should be,

\(
\text{arc}\beta_\lambda(\exp^{[r]}) = h^{[r]}(\text{arc}\beta_\lambda)
\)

And for large initial values \( s \) we get that \( h^{[r]}(s) = s+r+\sum_j o(e^{-\lambda (s_j+r)}) \) for a sequence \( s_j \).

I think iterating \( h \) is necessary to construct the super logarithm in a nice way. Where if we iterate \( h \) then we are equivalently iterating \( \exp \) once we conjugate by \( \beta_\lambda \). This is something I've been fiddling with since you posted it. I think I have to use this to describe my solution better; and once and for all show that \( \text{tet}_\beta(s) \to \infty \) as \( \Im(s) \to \infty \). That this solution is not Kneser's solution.

Regards, James.