The (forgotten) left hyper operations
When one starts considering tetration then one usually has the choice between chosing
\( x[4](n+1)=x^{x[4]n} \) or \( x[4'](n+1)=(x[4]n)^x \).

Usually people always prefer the first right bracketed law, because the left bracketed law is too simple:

\( x[4']n=x^{x^{n-1}} \), assuming \( x[4']1=x \).

However as I described here it is more appropriate to assume \( x[4']0=x \) getting the even more simple

\( x[4']n=x^{x^n} \).

Though this is a trivial start, it does not remain trivial when considering left pentation:

\( b[5']0=b \)
\( b[5'](n+1)=(b[5']n)[4']b=(b[5']n)^{(b[5']n)^b} \)

For example \( x[5']1=x^{x^x} \), \( x[5']2= \left( {x}^{{x}^{x}} \right) ^{ \left( {x}^{{x}^{x}} \right) ^{x}}=x^{x^x x^{xx^x}}=x^{x^{x+x^{x+1}} \)

So there is no reason to neglect the left hyper operation sequence by being too trivial! But before proceding something about extension of the left tetration to the reals.

There is one quite obvious way for an extension:
We can describe it by \( b[4']n= f^{\circ n}(b) \) where \( f(x)=x^b \). Then we even have the desired \( b[4']0=f^{\circ 0}(b)=b \).

Now \( x^b \) has the fixed point 1 and this is the only analytic fixed point there. So of course we consider regular iteration at this fixed point which indeed yields \( f^{\circ t}(x)=x^{b^t} \) (without proof) so \( b[4']t=b^{b^t} \).

We do similar for left pentation, let \( f(x)=x^{x^b} \) then \( b[5']n=f^{\circ n}(b) \). Now \( f(x) \) has again a fixed point at 1 and we can apply regular iteration there.

Generally:
\( b[k+1']t={f_k}^{\circ t}(b) \) where \( f_k(x)=x[k']b \).

We can show by induction that \( f_k(1)=1 \) for \( k\ge 3 \) and that \( f_k'(1)=1 \) for \( k\ge 4 \). To obtain real values we maybe must assume that \( b\ge 1 \) and \( f_k(x) \) defined only on \( x\ge 1 \) for \( k\ge 4 \). I think it also can be shown that 1 is the only real fixed point of \( f_k \), \( k\ge 4 \).

So the situation here is quite similar to the one of balanced tetration.
Some pictures of left tetration

red, green, yellow, blue corresponds to x[4']0, x[4']1, x[4']2, x[4']3
and left pentation

red, green, yellow, blue corresponds to x[5']0, x[5']1, x[5']2, x[5']3

The conjecture of course is that
\( \lim_{x\to 0} x[2k]t = 1 \), \( t>0 \).
\( \lim_{x\to 0} x[2k+1]t = 0 \)
I was wondering why left and balanced are not being talked about here too much since they obviously give different results when iterated. There is also a possibility to make a mix of them as well on a way, changing bracketing in the middle of sequences, or any place, or changing it continuously.

Probably(?) the problem is that there is fast multiplying of different results and not satisfactoy simple way to describe the various infinite trees or paths arising.

My intuitive guess is that there either already exists in mathematics way to describe relations between different values obtained by different bracketing,(trees? tree generating series?) or , if not, especially in continuous extension of iterations, such has to be found, which is probably as very difficult task. But You know that I am not so good in details, so excuse me for having such general views.

Ivars

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How could we define negative hyper operators? Shanghai46 2 1,472 11/27/2022, 05:46 AM
Last Post: JmsNxn
Question Base Pi Hyper-Operations Catullus 3 2,476 11/08/2022, 06:51 AM
Last Post: Catullus
Question Hyper-Operational Salad Numbers Catullus 9 4,455 09/17/2022, 01:15 AM
Question Rank-Wise Approximations of Hyper-Operations Catullus 48 26,462 09/08/2022, 02:52 AM
Question Octonion Hyper-Operations Catullus 3 2,394 07/05/2022, 08:53 AM
  Thoughts on hyper-operations of rational but non-integer orders? VSO 4 7,261 06/30/2022, 11:41 PM
Last Post: MphLee
Question Weak Hyper-Operational Etas and Euler Numbers Catullus 0 981 06/17/2022, 09:45 AM
  On my old fractional calculus approach to hyper-operations JmsNxn 14 11,979 07/07/2021, 07:35 AM
  hyper 0 dantheman163 2 7,631 03/09/2021, 10:28 PM
Last Post: MphLee
  On to C^\infty--and attempts at C^\infty hyper-operations JmsNxn 11 10,997 03/02/2021, 09:55 PM