base holomorphic tetration
Give me the weekend and I will make a complex contour plot of some regular tetrapower, or I ask Dmitrii, perhaps he is faster in make such plot.

The singularities should be quite visible in such a plot.
(11/13/2009, 12:16 PM)bo198214 Wrote: Give me the weekend and I will make a complex contour plot of some regular tetrapower

Here are finally the pictures (damn did that take time, as a side effect I discovered a bug in the python mpmath.lambertw function). I show the conformal map of z[4]0.5 inside the upper half of the Shell-Thron region via regular iteration, i.e. \( z[4]0.5 = \exp_b^{\circ 0.5}(1) \).

For the accuracy I checked the difference \( \exp_b^{\circ 1/2}(\exp_b^{\circ 1/2}(1))- b \). It is always under \( 10^{-8} \).

I computed the regular iteration as a mixture of the powerseries development at the lower fixed point, together with (if 1 is not inside the convergence radius of this powerseries) the equality \( \log_b^{\circ n} \circ \exp_b^{\circ t} \circ \exp_b^{\circ n} = \exp_b^{\circ t} \), i.e. the exponentials move the argument towards the fixed point until it is inside its convergence radius then the powerseries can be applied and the same number of logarithms have to finish the computation.

I assumed the convergence radius to be at least the distance of the fixed point from the image of the Shell-Thron region.
If we choose the original region closer to the Shell-Thron region the regular tetra-power gets chaotic:

This seems to indicate that the function has singularities on the Shell-Thron boundary.
What about the vicinity of the area \( b = e^{1/e} \)? And what formula are you using for this, the sum one or the limit one? Which requires more numerical precision, esp. near the edge?
(11/16/2009, 01:10 AM)mike3 Wrote: And what formula are you using for this, the sum one or the limit one? Which requires more numerical precision, esp. near the edge?

Mike, I took the extra time to describe it in my previous post:
(11/16/2009, 12:30 AM)bo198214 Wrote: I computed the regular iteration as a mixture of the powerseries development at the lower fixed point, together with (if 1 is not inside the convergence radius of this powerseries) the equality \( \log_b^{\circ n} \circ \exp_b^{\circ t} \circ \exp_b^{\circ n} = \exp_b^{\circ t} \), i.e. the exponentials move the argument towards the fixed point until it is inside its convergence radius then the powerseries can be applied and the same number of logarithms have to finish the computation.

I assumed the convergence radius to be at least the distance of the fixed point from the image of the Shell-Thron region.

Quote:What about the vicinity of the area \( b = e^{1/e} \)?
In which form/region you want it to be shown? Different sectors, or decreasing distance to the boundary?
(11/16/2009, 09:01 AM)bo198214 Wrote: Mike, I took the extra time to describe it in my previous post:
(11/16/2009, 12:30 AM)bo198214 Wrote: I computed the regular iteration as a mixture of the powerseries development at the lower fixed point, together with (if 1 is not inside the convergence radius of this powerseries) the equality \( \log_b^{\circ n} \circ \exp_b^{\circ t} \circ \exp_b^{\circ n} = \exp_b^{\circ t} \), i.e. the exponentials move the argument towards the fixed point until it is inside its convergence radius then the powerseries can be applied and the same number of logarithms have to finish the computation.

Ah, I see now. How much numerical precision was required, though?

Quote:What about the vicinity of the area \( b = e^{1/e} \)?
In which form/region you want it to be shown? Different sectors, or decreasing distance to the boundary?

Region? I suppose a small circle around e^{1/e}, excluding the wedge that lies outside the STR?
(11/16/2009, 11:39 AM)mike3 Wrote: Ah, I see now. How much numerical precision was required, though?

Nearly nothing. I computed with 100 bits precision and 10 terms of the powerseries. This gives already error under \( 10^{-8} \), at least for the shown regions.

Quote:Region? I suppose a small circle around e^{1/e}, excluding the wedge that lies outside the STR?

Yes I meant how to approach the STR boundary. Because if you go really close then you dont see much in the chaos (as it is shown in my previous pictures).

I will do it today evening (MET).
So here you get the wished pictures, with my invention of a sector plot. It shows that \( b=e^{1/e} \) behaves quite regularly, while a randomly choosen other base on the STR boundary does not.

Interesting. So perhaps \( b = e^{1/e} \) isn't a singularity after all, though there are other points on the boundary that are, which would agree with the results from the Taylor experiment.
(11/16/2009, 08:08 PM)mike3 Wrote: So perhaps \( b = e^{1/e} \) isn't a singularity after all, though there are other points on the boundary that are, which would agree with the results from the Taylor experiment.

Unfortunately from the picture you can not conclude that it is no singularity. Isolated singularities have this behaviour to take on nearly every value in each neighborhood, branchpoints however can be quite wellbehaved, e.g. the pictures for sqrt are:

My guess is that the "proper" singularities (i.e. those with chaotic behaviour taking nearly every point in each neighborhood) are dense on the TSR boundary. So that no continuable path leads outside the TSR.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [2sinh] exp(x) - exp( - (e-1) x), Low Base Constant (LBC) 1.5056377.. tommy1729 3 961 04/30/2023, 01:22 AM
Last Post: tommy1729
  Base -1 marraco 15 23,369 07/06/2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Catullus
  I thought I'd take a crack at base = 1/2 JmsNxn 9 4,705 06/20/2022, 08:28 AM
Last Post: Catullus
Big Grin Repetition of the last digits of a tetration of generic base Luknik 12 7,360 12/16/2021, 12:26 AM
Last Post: marcokrt
  On the [tex]2 \pi i[/tex]-periodic solution to tetration, base e JmsNxn 0 1,324 09/28/2021, 05:44 AM
Last Post: JmsNxn
  A Holomorphic Function Asymptotic to Tetration JmsNxn 2 2,942 03/24/2021, 09:58 PM
  A different approach to the base-change method JmsNxn 0 1,796 03/17/2021, 11:15 PM
  Complex Tetration, to base exp(1/e) Ember Edison 7 14,712 08/14/2019, 09:15 AM
Last Post: sheldonison
  Can we get the holomorphic super-root and super-logarithm function? Ember Edison 10 22,378 06/10/2019, 04:29 AM
Last Post: Ember Edison
  b^b^x with base 0<b<e^-e have three real fixpoints Gottfried 1 6,706 11/07/2017, 11:06 AM
Last Post: sheldonison