Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A more consistent definition of tetration of tetration for rational exponents
describes the function your assumption produces, i.e.:

and so on, while still allowing and retaining the property .

By the term orbit I'm refering to a term from dynamical systems where, given a point x, the sequence {x, f(x), f(f(x)), ...} is referred to as the orbit of f from x which is a way of referring to iteration without referring to the t in . By using it this way, though, I'm slightly misusing it, since its a sequence, and not a function. Here I'm using it as a function , sorry if it was confusing. One of the reasons why I like the term 'orbit' so much is that it pairs nicely with iterate which, given t, is a function . I've discussed these terms here as well.

Andrew Robbins
andydude Wrote: describes the function your assumption produces, i.e.:

and so on, while still allowing and retaining the property .

By the term orbit I'm refering to a term from dynamical systems where, given a point x, the sequence {x, f(x), f(f(x)), ...} is referred to as the orbit of f from x which is a way of referring to iteration without referring to the t in . By using it this way, though, I'm slightly misusing it, since its a sequence, and not a function. Here I'm using it as a function , sorry if it was confusing. One of the reasons why I like the term 'orbit' so much is that it pairs nicely with iterate which, given t, is a function . I've discussed these terms here as well.

Andrew Robbins

Ok, I see. Still a pathological function though. It cannot be made continuous at 1. If we define to conform with the limit of the tetraroots towards zero, then from the functional equation of tetration we must have:

However, the limit from the left of y=1 can be found by using the following:

Solving the latter with Maple, one gets , so there is a discontinuity at y=1. In short, no matter how this function is defined at y=0 and y=1, it cannot be made continuous simultaneously at y=0 and y=1.

I prefer it defined as:

and let it do as it pleases in between, even if it ends up discontinuous.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  tetration from alternative fixed point sheldonison 22 29,190 12/24/2019, 06:26 AM
Last Post: Daniel
  Constructing real tetration solutions Daniel 4 304 12/24/2019, 12:10 AM
Last Post: sheldonison
  Special tetration bases Daniel 0 151 12/13/2019, 02:55 AM
  Thoughts on hyper-operations of rational but non-integer orders? VSO 2 644 09/09/2019, 10:38 PM
Last Post: tommy1729
  I need somebody to help me clarifiy the elementary knowledge for tetration Ember Edison 13 3,549 08/26/2019, 01:44 PM
Last Post: Ember Edison
  Complex Tetration, to base exp(1/e) Ember Edison 7 2,193 08/14/2019, 09:15 AM
Last Post: sheldonison
  Minimum axioms to extend tetration Daniel 0 390 07/21/2019, 11:38 AM
  Critic of Tetration.org Daniel 2 761 07/21/2019, 01:32 AM
  Dimesional analysis and tetration tetration101 1 791 06/23/2019, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Chenjesu
  Is there a function space for tetration? Chenjesu 0 490 06/23/2019, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Chenjesu